Thursday, April 29, 2010

For My Husband

Hardworking Public Servant - It's Not a Oxymoron

It's a description of my husband. My husband never takes a break. He comes home after work only in time for dinner. He says he is not entitled to a single day's leave. It's a shocking violation of human rights. It's speially shocking when you consider the fact that he is a poorly paid public servant. Totally different from the stereotype of the lankan public servant. I would have got him to take legal action for human rights violations if I believed him.

He is never at home during weekends because he goes to his village to take care of his family business. He says it's so he can give us a comfortable life. Forget about Poya days, they are for the temple society meetings.

Embarrassed

He is tired when he is at home so he does not want to do anything fun with me and our daughters. On the rare occasion I get to go out with him, like to the neighborhood Food City, I am very excited I think it quite romantic. Then I feel embarrassed. I am not used to sitting in the front passenger seat. I feel like I'm out with an illicit lover. I can hardly look at the Food City employees in the eye. I think " now they know who fathered my daughters".

I feel sorry for my husband

He is missing the best part of life, spending time with his children. In two years time our elder daughter will be an adult and will be leaving home. I enjoy every minute I get to spend with my daughters. I feel lucky to be a full time mum. So actually I am grateful to my husband for enabling me to do so.

So it's happy May Day to my husband and all the other hardworking people especially the public servants because they don't get paid enough.

3 comments:

  1. You know its nice to hear that there is someone who works hard in the public sector till now I actually thought it was an oxymoron. But guess there are very few of them and thats why he ends up having to work so hard. I also used to spend a lot of time in office at the risk of my family life to discover that suddenly my two daughters were strangers to me. And that I had mistakenly thought that being a good provider was good enough to be a good father. Sadly I was wrong. Fortunately I realized that you have to invest time as well to be a good dad; before it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sad and unfortunate part of life that happens to many. Work can takeover...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds rather sad. Why not talk to him, gently on the subject? Approach discreetly, maybe suggesting a few things to do, use a birthday or an anniversary as an excuse perhaps?

    ReplyDelete