Thursday, March 18, 2010

Does Champika Really Love Trees?

Saving The Environment by Saving Trees

I thought all lankan politicos are criminals till I read the publicity of Champaka Ranawaka, the minister of environment. I love the fact that Champika Ranawaka, the minister of environment, loves trees. He does not do posters - not because it's illegal but to save trees. He says the poster campaigns of some politicians will cause hundreds of trees to be cut. Then on the 17th he planted 17 trees. He does this tree loving in addition to the work at the ministry. He has made the organisations under the ministry efficient. They earn lots of money for the government. Which other minister can make such claims? I regretted that I could not vote for him ( I am married to a Wanniar so have to vote in the Puttlam district).

Champika Good. Other Politicos Very Bad.

Champika is in the papers a lot. The reporters are as impressed with his as I am. Champika is an example for the other politicians. While other politicians cost us this man is earning for us. I can't understand why we have to pay to remove posters and cutouts. We pay tax with everything we buy so all of us bear the cost. The cost should be recovered from the criminals. It would be so easy to catch them - their faces and names are on the posters.
Newspapers are Paper

I like everything about Champika except the fact that he thinks we are stupid. He has put large advertisements in the newspapers. Newspaper is paper too. Everybody knows that. It's no secret. It's in the name. Champika should let us know how many trees are cut to publish his ads. The tree planting is publicised with lots of 17s . Could it be a publicity stunt? He cycles to save the environment. Now who is going to believe that? I am sure he has a motorcade like all other other politicians.

Moderation

We can't stop using paper. Well I can't. I can't survive without Newspapers, Magazines and Books. I don't know about Champika. Maybe the 17 Trees makes him carbon neutral. At least Champika is not breaking the law by putting up posters. He should have stopped at that. Now he just looks silly, especially on the bike, and he is insulting us by assuming we are stupid. Breaking the law being the norm and mot breaking it being the exception shows the quality of our politicians.


1 comment:

  1. Also Wilpattu is being raped, roads being cut through, illicit logging, treasure hunting, poaching even possibly mining; and what is the environmental minister doing about it?

    ReplyDelete