Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Death at Engineering College

Suicide Due to Stress

It's the no.1 college for engineering. Highly competitive entrance exam. Students are offered jobs before they graduate. This college seems a lot like the University of Moratuwa, the best university of our country.
Students commit suicide due to stress. The director justifies it saying the students need to learn how to handle stress. The students study engineering not because they love engineering or are interested in it but to get a good job and to please their parents. The grades are based purely on book learning.

Parents' Expectations

The parents expect the children to earn good money and solve the family's problems. A son who is an engineer is for status and image. Nobody cares about the happiness or well being of the child. The interests or aptitudes of the child do not matter. It's just cramming. The parents think they are martyrs for sacrificing everything for their kids and the kids are under obligation to please their parents.

Three Idiots

This is the story of the movie 3 Idiots now showing at the Majestic Cinema. It's a must watch for parents, teachers and university staff.

It Changed My Views

I thought strict discipline with suspension and expelling was good. Not anymore. It's a disaster for the students and their families which are often poor. The lives of these people should not be destroyed. University administrators should show some compassion. These students have been under so much stress from a very young age. Irrational and bad behavior is to be expected.
I thought that my children should get a good degree i.e. a degree in demand in the job market. Sri Lanka is a poor country. Do we have the luxury of choosing a career that we love? After watching the movie I am afraid to let my girls go anywhere near an Engineering college. So I am confused now. I don't know what is best for my girls.
Parents are selfish. They have no right to decide on a child's career and to expect them to solve the family's problems.
The Movie : Highly Recommended

The movie made me question my believes. So it's a good movie. I sobbed watching it. My young friend said she did not cry that it's a comedy. I suppose mothers react differently.

My Problem : How do I get my daughter to give up maths and study English Lit to become a writer? Writers are so glamorous. She will be able go to cocktail parties in lovely sarees and big necklaces. I'd love to have a famous daughter... Engineers are dull and boring. I just could not get why the parents in the movie wanted the sons to become engineers.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I really liked the movie too especially the stuff about the education system.

    But as for your daughter you really shouldn't force her to do what you want. Let her choose their own path?

    But I think its cool that you want her to be a writer which is kinda unusual. However the life of a writer isn't all that glamorous and what's wrong with engineering anyway?

    ReplyDelete