Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Is Tuition Essential ?

Good Teachers Small Classes

My daughter wants to be an engineer to save lives. We have put her into a school which has good teachers and where the classroom sizes are small. I decided to send my daughter to this particular school because I do not want to send her for Tuition. The students can ask the teachers for extra help. Also my husband claims to be an engineer (even though I am not aware of him doing any engineering, ever) and can help our daughter with maths.

I'm no Super Mum

From what I hear the hours of the tuition classes are long and inconvenient. How do the children find the time or the energy to study and to do homework after they finish with school and classes? Also I do not fancy Driving around Colombo and it's suburbs in the middle of the night. I am not a self sacrificing martyr of a super mum.

The Enablers

I am getting worried about my decision. All my aunts, cousins and friends, whose children are doing ALs or have finished recently, tell me that it is not possible to get good results without good tuition teachers. They are being helpful. They want to give me the numbers and addresses of the best teachers. They offer to organise the classes and even guarantee As.
Are we Addicted to tuition?

I have a niece who is the same age as my daughter. She manages wonderfully without tuition and is planning to go to medical school next year. She even has a social life. She does not live in Sri Lanka.

Why are we addicted to tuition? Is it the herd mentality or are we insecure?

Tell me if you think I am making a mistake

Have you or anyone you know passed the ALs well without tuition, in Sri Lanka? What's your opinion on tuition?

4 comments:

  1. imho - this is entirely up to how you condition the child. if they feel confident enough to face up to an examination without tuition then what's the point of forcing it upon them? Tuition is meant to be a support to the child's learning process and in some instances makes up for a deficient teacher or other shortcoming.

    I think in sri lanka we have fallen into an unhealthy condition where there is far too much reliance on tuition. Good teachers use it to supplement their meager wages whilst students get exam preparation without really learning the subject. This was one of the less central themes of 3 idiots - which I believe you blogged about previously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I admire your decision not to send your kid for tution, but I do have concerns. It depends on if and where she wants to go for higher education. Sad truth is, in SL only a small fraction of those who qualify for uni. actually get to go - simply because the vacancies are limited. And even though AL alone is totally unscientific and unreliable to assess if someone is "suitable" for University, tragically, that's the only system we have.

    Hence the rat race. To get in, you need to be at the top of the list. For those who do not have the option of going to a fee levying higher education institute (either here or abroad) that is the only option. Hence the rats get rabid mentalities.

    IMHO, tution works only because memorizing and regurgitating is an effective method of studying for AL. Those who come to medical school, and don't adapt to other methods, tend to do quite badly.

    I know a few people who have done well without tution, but their parents are usually teachers who drill them at home.

    Certainly your daughter will have more of a life without it, and may be the happier for it.

    Sorry for the ramble... I don't think I even answered your question... :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh there are many. many students who are now in big big place's with out tuition. those class's are not just for education. in someways its a place for socializing. to meet new people.as many school's arnt mix schools, students love to go to tuition class's.

    my brother is a doctor , he never went to tuition class's .

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't be selfish and cheap if you love your daughter you'll arrange tuition for her.

    ReplyDelete