Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I am a Pessimist so I Won

Optimist Vs. Pessimist

I had a BBQ dinner yesterday. My brother in law lost an election wager. Guess who won? Ya... Me.
Apart from the genetic mutation of the missing humour gene, my in laws have another genetic mutation. They are incurable unrealistic optimists.

My bro in law was quite certain that Sarath will win the election. Last night was not a victory celebration. It was more of a wake. The guys were talking about astrologers and Ranil's Raja Yogaya. Like people consoling themselves with the idea of rebirth after the death of a loved one. It got so absurd and unrealistic that I had to leave the building. I am not superstitious and do not believe in rebirth or gods.

What do we have to look forward to? More prosperity and progress for the ruling family? The people are already talking about imminent price hikes.

The Next Seven Year

During the new term of the president, my kids would be doing their AL's and then going to universities. This is going to be very expensive for us. It is not going to be easy.

I took a gamble by removing my kids from the local education system. I just could not watch them being tortured anymore. My older daughter sat for her OLs last December and it would have only got worse. The education they were getting.... not great.

I want my kids to be strong enough to survive in this difficult world. Like most Sri Lankan parents I believe a good eduction makes a person strong.
( Soma my cook is back, looking tired but happy. The local politicos had given everybody in her neighbourhood Kiri Bath. Soma will cheer me up. She is making me mango curry, one of my favourites. The little pleasures in life keep me going)

3 comments:

  1. The local free education system is doing as much as it can. If this is not good enough for u just stop complaining.... And pessimism is not a good thing, don't be proud of it... And the election was completely rigged. The results were printed at 10 AM yesterday before half the votes were counted... Your inlaws are right to harbour this little thing called hope that has been crushed by Mahinda's foul play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He ended the war for us and now MR will do more to develop our nation. He'll improve education as well as the lives of you foolish UNPers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kandygirl
    yo dude who is this MR your talking about cuz he ain't Mahinda Rajapakse.

    ReplyDelete